Monday, November 14, 2011

Day 14, Thankful for down time

Today was the first day in a long time that I felt like I just had down time with my kids. Josh was gone the past two weeks and so I filled my schedule with all sorts of things, some purposely and some just had to. I felt like I had no time to myself and no time with just my kids. I was sad when I looked back on it because even though the kids had tons of fun playing with lots of friends and I got to do some things that I needed/wanted to do (like volunteer at Hazel's school), I was just bummed I didn't get more time with my kids, because I'm a stay at home mom so I can "stay at home with my kids." Unfortunately that doesn't happen enough.

Side note: I remember when we were doing our house renovations and our contractor just assumed I'd be home all the time because I was a "stay at home mom." It wasn't until then that I realized how mis-guided that term is, just like "morning sickness." I was hardly ever home it seemed.

Today though, I made sure to not have errands or extra stuff and we just read and did craft projects and played together and it was so rejuvenating for all of us.

2 comments:

Tierney Kirk said...

I know what you mean about being busy as a stay at home mom (and I know it'll get busier as Evan gets older, more kids, etc). The missionaries are teaching our neighbor, and they asked me on Sunday what I do during the days since I'm frequently gone when they're at his house. It was hard explaining what all I do, but I know I sure stay occupied!

anna said...

Afton,

This is Anna Low from Houston. Remember me? Clarke is looking at a residency program at Stanford and I was hoping you could give me more info on the area. Are there any residents that live around you? any I could contact to find out how people live on that kind of salary up there :)

Send me an email when you get a chance.

Thanks!