Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Keeping Busy--Sewing

Since baby boy has decided to obey my wishes and stay put for a while so I can finish some projects, I've made good use of my time and taken advantage of my sister's help. Have I said how awesome it is to have her here? And I'm soo glad he's stayed put so I can keep getting things done. I know a lot of women are dying to get the baby out at this point, but I love the extra time.

I should write a list of things I've gotten done, and I probably will later, but yesterday was dedicated to sewing. And you should know that I'm no seamstress. I can count the things I've sewn on my fingers. Josh got me a new sewing machine for my bday last summer since the one I had was a hand-me-down that never worked. I've had ambitions to use it, but just haven't seemed to have/make the time.

I've had some fabric I bought to make a simple baby blanket for a while now and really wanted to make one and finally got around to it! And a few other things. Here is my very proud stack of accomplishments from my day of sitting and sewing all day long.

The breakdown:

Two doll diaper bags. We took the girls to JoAnn's Saturday and let them pick out fabric to make a little bag. It was so much fun! I thought I'd make them little church bags, just simple fold over the fabric and sew sort of things, but then I decided to make them little doll diaper bags instead. I thought about the baby coming and have been wanting to give them a gift at the hospital and since they love their baby dolls, it seemed like the perfect thing.

It took me waaay too long to figure out how to make these, wasn't joking about being clueless. Hazel requested pockets, so I put a pocket on the outside of both (but put it on the back of the 2nd one after realizing it was better placement) and one on the inside.

I had some extra fabric after making their bags and tried to think of what else I could make and decided on a burp cloth. I fell in love with the little thing and had some more fabric after that so I made a diaper. In love with that too. As I laid in bed last night, again not sleeping (okay that is a draw back of pregnancy), I was dreaming of my cute little bags and thought of what else I could put in it and thought of wipes.

Then I remembered some tiny plastic containers I bought at Hazel's request and haven't used, so I put those to good use by adding a wipe to it and ta-da, wipes container!! I am SO in love with these bags and goodies.

Gosh isn't that the cutest little diaper you've ever seen? I don't have a clue how to use elastic, so I had my sister glue these little velcro dots on. I put two dots on each side so they are adjustable based on the size of doll. I am giddy about this, can't wait to play dolls!

Felicity's bag.

My adorable collection, I hope my girls like these half as much as I do!

Here is my very first baby blanket I've ever made! It took me FOREVER to get my machine ready (this was the first project of the day). I need someone next to me coaching me the whole way, but since I don't have that magical person, I'm left to spend ages figuring out the tension problems on my own. And then why does it seem that I measure endlessly and yet when I cut, and re-cut, it never seems to end up even?

Here is my final blanket and I love it!

I did a simple finishing stitch that made it look complete.

I went through my fabric bin (yes, I have one of those just like I have a scrapbooking collection that I never use. I bought this fabric when I lived in NYC years ago before any kids...hey, it was too cute to pass up.

After sewing all day and after the kids were in bed I figured, hey, why not make another blanket? So I did and ta-da, another one!

Unfortunately I chose the wrong finishing stitch on this one and it took FOREVVVVVER. Have you ever used one of those? It took ages to do the finishing stitch. And so I tried to change the stitch length on the last side thinking you wouldn't be able to notice and well, look. Yeah, you can tell, and it's wobbly.

However, from a distance, it's all great and I'm super proud.

Josh could tell how excited I was about it and said he wishes he could have just a bit of that excitement for a whole week of his work. It's been wonderful to have something so fulfilling to do!

Q: Do you like to sew?
Q: What projects give you energy both in the making and finishing?

11 comments:

Autumn said...

This is SOOO darling!!! Way to go.

joolee said...

good job, afton! you've got to start somewhere! soon you'll be sewing up a storm.

i love, LOVE to create something, anything - usually without a pattern, out of my head, or something similar to something else i've seen. that is fulfilling to me! patterns are fun, but usually take me longer because i have to figure out how to actually READ it, etc. so those projects are fulfilling too because they take longer. :)

keep it up! i've usually got way too many sewing projects up my sleeve, but seriously, i'm never bored. whenever my friends tell me they get bored i tell them to take up sewing! :)

Rachael said...

how fun! I really love sewing.

For the measuring and cutting--do you have a self-healing mat, rotary cutter, and quilter's clear plastic rectangle? Those are the biggest helps to me in getting really accurate measurements down to a fraction of an inch. And make sure you square off your fabric when you start--it's always uneven when you get it home from the store, no matter how good it looks to your eye! I couldn't believe what a difference it made when I started doing this.

The thing that really helped me was taking "lessons" from an older woman in my ward--she taught a whole bunch of us how to do these awesome pieced quilts, and I learned SO much along the way about how my machine worked and how to sew more accurately and precisely.

Jill said...

Afton those are awesome! I love how cute they turned ou.t I'm so excited for you!

Jill said...

Afton those are awesome! I love how cute they turned ou.t I'm so excited for you!

Amy said...

I appreciate other people's craftiness, but I don't craft/sew. It took me several years to realize I could be a faithful member of relief society while avoiding sewing projects. My mom and sisters are crazy creative, but I've just never joined the club. I think it has to do with my allergic reaction to clutter, so I don't want to make any extra items for my house, let alone store the supplies.

Yay for your obedient little boy who is giving you all this extra time.

Heidi said...

Fun! I love the the little diapers and bags! The girls are going to have so much fun with these!

Debbi said...

You are amazing! Everything is so creative and cute! Your little boy is one lucky guy to get a mom like you!

Heidi said...

I love them Afton! I can't believe you! You are so inspiring (and exhausting! ;) Now no more putting off baby! I want to see his big blues debut and find out his name! :)
On the other hand, it is fun to see what you keep doing in the meantime!

Heidi said...

I love them Afton! I can't believe you! You are so inspiring (and exhausting! ;) Now no more putting off baby! I want to see his big blues debut and find out his name! :)
On the other hand, it is fun to see what you keep doing in the meantime!

Marci said...

Afton my dear...all of your sewing projects turned out awesome! Way to go. I have been thinking about you and checking your blog daily to see your new little man has made his debut. Also, I am SO wanting to hear how labor and delivery goes for you this time. So here is the plan...the minute your Mr. gets here, pull out your laptop and post the details of his birth...deal? I am so excited for you...boy babies are magical...it's true. Love you.