Monday, January 31, 2011

And His Real Name Is...


You all have given me some great laughs, but mostly surprise! I hope you didn't really think I'd ruin my kids life with that name and were all just being nice and secretly hoping I was joking. Too nice! From here on out, you have full permission to speak your mind if I am ever about to do something as crazy as name my child Gaylord, however perfect I tell you it is, seriously, full permission! It was so funny reading the responses almost all entirely avoiding his name, almost painful because I realized some of you must really believe it and were just trying to think of something nice to say.

You can all breathe a sigh of relief though, our son is not Gaylord, but it looks like I made a compelling argument because after almost 200 views on this, my sister is the only one that said anything about his name hopefully being a joke (which I temporarily deleted as to not let anyone else on). My dad also called me to talk to me about it and Josh's dad emailed us with the same concerns. I have to say, I've never felt so loved by our dads! (and you too Jill:).

My dad called as soon as he read my entry and my mom answered, we still hadn't arrived from the hospital. He asked to stay on the phone until I got there because he just wanted to say hi for a minute. Apparently he wouldn't tell my mom why he wanted to talk to me because he didn't want her to tell him to not say anything. She knew how long we'd deliberated about a name and he was afraid she'd try to talk him out of it. He told me he thought it was usually best to not intervene in our decisions but if there was ever a time for a grandfather to intervene, this was it. It was so priceless, I loved getting my dad who is the ultimate prankster.

Shortly after, Josh checked his email and his response to the email was even better. He goes, "Oh Afton! Oh no, my Dad doesn't know it's a joke...he is trying to be so careful in his email..." He hurried to call him because he was sure he was causing his dad serious stress. I thought it was awesome, my joke worked! Josh had agreed to it because he was sure nobody would believe it, but we fooled even our families.

Josh was relieved his dad was laughing about it after he told him it was a joke and I had to jump on to enjoy a good laugh myself. His dad and mom were with his aunt and uncle and some other family members and we managed to add some great excitement to their night. I told him I figured it had been a rotten enough experience at the hospital that we could at least have some fun with everyone at the end of it. He was a great sport about it.

And if nothing else, we figured even if nobody would have originally liked his name for whatever reason, they'll be so relieved that they'll think they LOVE the real one whether or not they would have!

Drum roll please...

We are happy to announce the real name of our perfect new son, Rhett Southam Parker.

We both love the name Rhett and Southam is my maiden name. I have no brothers, and I have a lot of pride in my maiden name, so we thought it would be nice to at least pass the name down to our son who will now get to carry both sides of his family name. I just realized I'm kind of the same, I have names of both of my grandmothers and I've always loved the connection to both sides.

The rest of the story I posted was true, we were waiting at the hospital extra hours because we hadn't found a middle name. Josh was on the internet searching ideas and while we had a few, none were great. We wanted something meaningful or a little fun and descriptive. We tried finding a name that sort of meant jokester or anticipation since he had us and the doctors all in suspense for a while and ended up being perfectly fine as if it was all a big joke to him. Then we finally decided on Southam and I realized you know what? Southams are pretty big pranksters themselves, so that fits just fine.

And we think the whole name fits him just perfectly.

Q: I'm dying to know, did you think it was a joke?
Q: Are you relieved?

34 comments:

mandaline said...

Afton I love you...I have to admit I totally fell for it. I was like that poor boy....his sisters have such beautiful names and he gets Gaylord. I was hoping he had a really awesome middle name to go by. All I could think of was Gaylord Focker...he would be called Greg RN, male nurse, all his life. :) Rhett is a great name and I love how his middle name is Southam! I hope I brought a smile to your face because you definitely brought one to mine. I hope you and the family are doing well!

*Mandy

Kyndra said...

I was hoping it was a joke and kept telling myself that I needed to check back today to find out that it was a joke, but your reasons sounded pretty real. And then I checked your facebook to see if you really had Gaymen friends/relatives, and you did, and I was freaking out for you. Like seriously freaking out. I said to Dug, "But they are cool people who are totally normal, how could they do this?? How do they not know??" SOOOOO glad it was a joke. I happen to love the name Rhett and have even thrown it into the mix for our own baby names before. A very fine choice for an incredibly cute little baby.

Amy F. said...

ha ha ha your friends are sweet Afton, yes I added my comment bc not one person had said anything about the name, I was hoping to open the door for them :) love the name, except it will always remind me of my ex- rhett!

Autumn said...

Ha ha! Too funny. It must be known that I didn't fall for it. I'd like to hope that I wouldn't fall for it even if I didn't know the final 2 picks. I love it that both Dads called-so funny. And I have to say I could only skim the comments to see if anyone mentioned the name because it was too painful!!!!! haha

Rachael said...

Afton, I am SO relieved! After I read your initial post, I gasped and my husband said, "What?!" and I told him about the name, and he was like, you HAVE to email her and just say something tactful along the lines of "please don't ruin this child's life." I am SO glad it is a joke!! You totally got me. :-) I was checking your blog and Facebook repeatedly hoping for a new announcement!

joolee said...

oh goodness, i did fall for it - i asked myself a couple times if you could be joking, but you seemed awfully serious. i AM relieved! i love Rhett - my roommate just had her 3rd a couple weeks ago and named him Rhett as well. So manly for such a little guy! bet your girls are just loving him. enjoy him while he's tiny - i'm so sad that cora's such a chunker already!

daughterofeve said...

I had forgot all about your blog! I kept looking at facebook, hoping for info, but always being disappointed. So I was completely satisfied to find all of the updates here. I'm very glad that you did not name him Gaylord, if I had seen that first I probably would have feel hard for it. Congrats to you and Josh.

Renee (and Eric) said...

Some day, that little boy will prank you back. Your dad's comments are absolutely classic. Congrats on the new little baby. The world needs all the Southams (and laughing) it can get!!! He's so sweet. Enjoy!--Renee (Jenkins) Chambers

Jill said...

haha! What an awesome joke. Well I would've felt awful since I was the one who DID speak out... so glad it was a joke. Seriously! you are hilarious.That makes his name Southam fit even better :) Entering the world with a prank! Thank good ness for tactful and concerned fathers :)

The Marx Family said...

I was so hoping it was a joke!! I can just imagine what the Grandfathers had to say about it. Congrats he is adorable and Rhett is a MUCH better choice!

Melanie said...

LOVE the name Rhett. And his middle name too. :) I totally believed it, and was feeling a bit sorry for him, but I kept telling myself, "One of my old bishop's has that name..."

Congrats again! :)

(Awesome joke!)

Katrina said...

I knew it! I've been waiting all day for the retraction. :) well done!

Emily said...

Afton, I totally knew it was a joke! I wanted to say something so bad but Steve wouldn't let me just in case you were serious...he didn't want you to be offended.

My favorite was how nobody said anything about the name at all, I was laughing so hard. Good job.
Love the name Rhett, it's one of my favorites!

Hope you're getting some rest!

Emily said...

Congratulations!!! He is such a cutie! I read this post first, but I totally would have fallen for it had it been the other way around. :)

Alicia said...

I have been laughing and laughing since I just read this post!! I have to say...I thought it was a joke (especially since we had just talked!) but then when you connected it to your mom's maiden name I thought "Ok, what if on the off-chance she and Josh both went temporarily insane (I mean, sleep deprivation and all those hormones'll do that to a person!) and really named him Gaylord...then if I say something I am not only dissing her son's name, but her MOM'S maiden name at the same time!" I thought I'd play it safe and just keep checking your blog and hope that you were joking. That was an AWESOME prank. Love it.

And I love the name Rhett. Sigh. It's just a masculine but romantic name. And I LOVE that you did Southam. So perfect.

Can't wait to hear more!

Heidi said...

WAY TO GO Afton! I love the Southam name, too! Too perfect for the whole prank. He looks so innocent in that picture, but I have a feeling there is a lot of scheming going on inside. Just know you asked for it. Hope you are all having a wonderful time together enjoying that new love!

robin said...

i knew it! i've been thinking about it all day and i knew it! there is no way anyone would name their child gaylord in this day and age.

how are you able to do that? i would never be able to pull such a joke!

whitney said...

um, i actually did not think it was a joke. and i'll be honest with you, i didn't like the name. but everyone has their own opinions and i am never one to criticize someone's name choice.... i never would have told you i didn't like it if that was his real name. but i DO love rhett.... not that it matters what i think. :)

Unknown said...

Totally fell for it. The conversation Forrest and I had was colorful. Trying to justify it. Things like "Well, Afton has always been adventurous and colorful." "Hopefully he'll be really big and strong and can take down anybody that teases him." I was seriously about to make you some onesies that said "G-Man" on them, hoping that the nickname would stick!

Rhett is such a great name! I would have loved it either way, and I think I remember you mentioning it before. So unique, but so manly. He looks adorable and I'm going to come over soon and steal him away for a while. I need some bitty-baby snuggles.

Also, I would NEVER have said anything to you. To each his own. I would have called him little guy, or G-man all the time though :-)

Elaine said...

I thought- "Afton is a smart girl- she can't be so stupid as to name her child one of the most mock-provoking names in existence! And Josh is no so stupid as to let his son live his life with a name like that either." And yet, I was still about 80% fooled!! So, good job you!

While I would be relieved to here any name but Gaylord, I LLOVE the name Rhett. It was one I brought up when we were brainstorming exactly 1 year ago! So happy for you all! Congrats, and I can't wait to meet little Rhett. I purposefully didn't comment initially, because I had NOTHING I could have said without judgment. :)

Julianne said...

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn if you name me Gaylord!" will have to be his first words. :)

I kept waiting for the punch line after reading that post. Stephen was so incredulous when I told him, hoping he wouldn't be conducting the Sunday you bless your baby, and I kept telling him, "This has got to be a joke." We're relieved to find out it is and that your kid won't spend every recess of his life getting beat up!

Kirsten said...

Afton, you're the coolest. I haven't gotten to check in for a few days, so I read your posts backwards on purpose, but still knew enough from sort-of-but-not reading the first one to know already about the joke. Love Rhett Southam, beautiful baby and perfect name. And whoot for 9 lb boys--Rhett and Dalton have that in common.

Heidi said...

Phew! I was hoping it was a joke but I wasn't sure. I kept thinking things like, "I can't see Josh being OK with that name" and, "what the h*** were they thinking!" I was imagining pulling you aside to tell you how awful his existence in school would be. You guys are hilarious. When I was pregnant with Haley and my mom wouldn't leave me alone about the name I told her I was going to name the baby Shanaynay. She didn't believe me though. Great prank!

Heidi said...

I am laughing out loud at Julianne's post about Stephen not wanting to conduct the Sunday of his blessing! Thanks, I needed a good laugh!

Brit said...

Congratulations Afton and Josh! Let's just say, I'm glad it was a joke. I was pretty upset about the name, but didn't know how to tell you. All I could think about was the horrible things the poor kid would have to go through in school. Rhett Southam is a great name and I love that he will have your maiden name to carry with him forever. What a wonderful idea! I hope you are feeling well and I am glad that baby boy is doing well too!!

Melanie Sharp said...

I turned to Phil and said, "I hope she's kidding" but you and I both know you just don't say anything! You really can't, can you? Because if for some crazy reason the person is serious, then you're a total jerk. So I wouldn't have lied to you through my teeth and told you I liked it, but I also wouldn't have told you not to do it.

Love the name Rhett. And I'm not lying through my teeth. (When we named Gideon I sort of sensed that there were several people tactfully avoiding the name because they didn't like it...it's uncommon and pron to nicknames like Giddy, but it's no Gaylord :-)

Kim said...

I wondered if it was a joke but in case it wasn't, I didn't want to say anything. I'm so glad you did not name him Gaylord!

Anonymous said...

I thought the name was dumb, but didnt want to be rude. Ha Ha! I was secretly wishing you it would be a joke and that you two would keep the joke going right up until you blessed him, then reveal the real name! I would have bust a gut in church if you would have done that!
-Liz

Gary said...

I figured it was a joke, personally, but avoided any discussion of the name just in case, since I have a history of inadvertently insulting people.

Rhett is a fine name. Gaylord is a fine name...in 1837.

Definitely relieved you were not serious.

Rachel Elaine said...

I had a gut feeling that it was a joke, but I also know that you like unique names so I wasn't 100% sure. I also noticed nearly everyone was obviously avoiding the name in their comments.

Lindsey said...

I was hoping it was a joke, and then I read everyone else's comments and no one else asked if it was, so I figured I should keep my mouth shut too. Wow, I am SOOO glad you were kidding. For 24 hours I walked around the house saying, "How did Josh let this happen!? What are they thinking?" I love the name Rhett. Good work. Sigh, I'm so relieved he'll survive the high school locker room. :-)

Unknown said...

I love the name :) I'm so happy for you and your family! I can't wait to see you guys again :)

Amy said...

Paul has an uncle Gaylord, so we didn't even blink.

Ludwig Family Blog said...

Mark and I thought it was a joke, but wanted to be careful not to be rude if it were real. :)
I think Rhett is a perfect name! He looks so much like a Southam, the middle name is perfect, too. Good luck with everything!