Sunday, December 18, 2011

$5 presents

I've been doing all but writing on my blog, which I miss, but now isn't the time for me to be writing much on it either, so I am copying and pasting a great post form someone else. My family has been talking recently about gift exchanges and how to make Christmas more meaningful. We switch it up every year, but one of my favorite years was when we did a $5 gift for our person or family we were giving too. It was a fun challenge and there were some cute things passed around. I was buying for my sister and bought her collapsible measuring spoons that shipped free from amazon. Nothing remarkable, but fun and hopefully useful.

This year we recently decided to scrap the gift exchange and get presents for someone who's Christmas might be more meager. We tossed the idea around of still doing $1 store presents or something else cheap but thoughtful. My little sister had a cute idea of sending our person Top Five lists of our Top Fives, like out top five favorite songs, top five fav blogs, top five recipes, top five books, etc. I thought that was a great idea, free and thoughtful and keeps us connected. In the spirit of cheap, fun gifts, I found this blog full of cute cheap ideas that kids would love.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas that doesn't blow the bank!

http://www.hereinthelovelywoods.com/2011/12/best-toys-5-can-buy.html

In her honor, I'd like to continue the GeekDad list (Stick, Box, String, Cardboard Tube, Dirt) with a few of our own kid-tested, mother-approved favorites.

1. Straws. You've heard of Tinker Toys? Granted, those will last longer, but give a child a 99-cent box of drinking straws and you might be surprised at the creations that will result.

2. Bubble Wrap. I personally know of at least two adults who tied a ribbon around a roll of bubble wrap and gave it to a child for Christmas, only to find that all other presents paled in comparison. Want to win the Cool Relative Award? Snap, crackle, pop.

3. Hammer. Nails. Wood. A friend of mine once gave her oldest son a pile of scrap lumber and some tools for Christmas. That's terrific ... but how about this? My neighbor, Emily, stopped by one day to dump a tree stump on our doorstep. "That's for your kids!" she called cheerfully as she drove away. Sure enough, they pounded nails into that thing until they had chain mail. Thanks Emily!

4. Duct Tape. Ian likes to remind me that it's just like The Force: It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds everything together. I can't begin to describe the number of things that have been manufactured at our house with this substance. Bonus: It now comes in fluorescent colors and funky patterns. Check your local craft store.

5. Aluminum Foil. Caroline has made probably hundreds of things from this, from origami objects to multiple pairs of shoes. We usually give her a roll for long car trips, and we've had certain houseguests bring her a roll when they come to stay. Isn't it endearing to have adults in your life who understand how your child ticks?

6. Fire. As in, matches and candles. Blah blah blah parental supervision blah blah blah responsible oversight blah blah blah. Don't send the authorities after me. But seriously, friends. Do you know how long my two girls can sit at a table melting candle wax, watching the shape of candles and flames change before their eyes, sculpting creations from wax, making fake sealing wax for fake letters, etc.? Answer: a very long time. In fact, I had seven girls at this house just yesterday doing this for a solid hour.

No comments: